Sunday, March 29, 2009

Goeiendag and Bonjour from Bruges and Brussles! actually...

more accurately its Tot ziens and Au revoir to the capitals of beer, waffles, and chocolate. Although I am back in Rome right now at my laptop, mentally I'm still double checking itineraries, imagining how to squeeze that last souvenir into my bag, and wondering what will break next. I realize that I slowed down on the blogging as the traveling picked up speed and intensity. So to give the low down, a rough summary of the three amazingly diverse cities that I visited in the last few days...

Stockholm: "the true San Francisco of Europe" trendy, forgotten, international, beautiful snow

Bruges: "Orvieto in Belgium" medieval, gourmet chocolate, tourists, bikes, rain

Brussels: "a laid back Paris with fewer museums and nicer people" nouveau antique, chill, french, multicultural, street art

I'll update more as I get the chance but a few things for now...
FOOD has become my new obsession, but Casey Alyssa and I agreed that after this trip DETOX is necessary. I've had far too many "classic dishes" potato dumplings and pork, steak soup with bread, sweedish meatballs and potatoes (oh my God epically delicious at a random little place we found! that story for later...) traditional belgian cheeses, so many beers (sweet, bitter, blond, brown, sour, cherry, grainy...) leige waffles (carmelized with sugar), brussles waffles (with powdered sugar), belgian fries! countless chocolate pralines/ caramels/ nougats/ ganaches/ creams, and so many other delicious sugary fat things that I can't even recall. Casey always put it best: "That was delicious! but I feel like I have a brick in my stomach..." luckily we walked enough that that feeling never lasted too long :)

Long story short, its finally nice to be in my room in my apartment in my city! Although It'll be sad to not be mistaken for a german tourist, sweedish local, or native northern european, Ill get to brush up on my italian which has been forgotten for the past week.

ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment